dyban blog Thoughts on Los Angeles, Media, Politics, World Affairs, and Misc. Commentary

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

dateline: Westwood

(((The conclusion will be uploaded by late Friday night.)))




Dateline: Westwood Village, Los Angeles, May 18, 2005

Arrival at 8:15 am after a 12-or-so minute walk up to the Village. There are already about 20 people in line. Line is very sparse, stretching all the way to the Hookah-filled Habibi Café at the alley just south of Le Conte Ave. Two more fanboys arrive a couple of minutes after me. Habibi Cafe was getting ready to open, and I was kicked up about 10 feet – good. 20 minutes later, the Habibi guy was ready to swing open even more of the gates, and the group of people in front of me, myself, and the two fanboys were kicked to the other wise of the alley, right in front of the old Sushi place building on the corner of Le Conte – right in the fucking sun (whereas the Habibi has a very nice awning under which we hid) – bad.

The first couple of hours were uneventful. I picked a spot where I could hide in the ever-moving shade of a light pole. It was hot, I was hungry, and I was sleep-deprived. In about 6 hours, I would finish the book I brought to pass the time. Internet – none.

Minute-by-Minute updates…

2.10 PM – The board games are being unpacked – SW Trivial Pursuit, SW Risk, and a few others I did not have the courage to get closer to in order to see the titles. The group right in front of me, which was growing through the day, was playing Trivial Pursuit. I largely stayed away reading my book, but overheard the following as I visited my backpack for a drink of Trader Joe’s Spring water: “What was Luke’s one work reply to the Emperor when he was asked to take his father’s place?”
“How hard is this?”
“Never!”

As people ate at the neighborhood establishments, there seemed to be an abundance of Burger King Meals, which included a flipping Yoda wind-up (pretty cool) and King Crowns with the SW characters.

Lots and lots of various SW-themed T-shirts are seen – there are new Sith T-shirts and retro shirts with original poster art, C-3POs, Darth Mauls, etc. There are also at least two cell phone SW theme ring tones nearby in line, and three guys who have the Wookie speech patterns down pat.

Incredibly, there are actually a number of good-looking girls in line. One within eyeshot is really nice – I am assuming that she is doing this out of the love she has for her guy. Aahhhhhh, young love.

Other women are of the overweight, handicapped car placard variety (true). The two close to me even have a Princess Amidala beach towel lying across one of the beach folding chairs. But they are all very nice people, offering me their extra chair to sit on numerous times, etc. SW fans do have good in them, deep down.

3.40 – A guy in a black Sith T-shirt walked by, carrying the ubiquitous folding beach chair and carrying, count 'em, all three lightsabers – green, red, blue – sticking out of his backpack.

5:22 – The group in front is whipping out another round of Trivial pursuit, and this time, I am right next to them typing this. Damn. Laugh it up, fuzz ball!!!

5:28 – Two cute chicks in white tank tops handed us all wrist rubber bands with “The Island” on them, saying that it is another science fiction movie that we will like. The Island looks like shit. Grade for the promotion – C- (a wrist band???)

5:30 – Just realized that I have become what I always dreaded. I am actually sitting on a sidewalk in Westwood, waiting for a screening another 6-plus hours away, typing on my iBook. Yikes!!

5:33 – Someone drives by and yells: ”Star Trek rules.”

5:52 – The group next to me is just doing the Trivial Pursuit questions and answers, not using the board this time out.

5:58 – First full-on costume sighting – a Tie Pilot outfit – a very nice one, in fact. He is carrying a plastic bag with at least three “energy drinks” and a giant Gatorade. Costume grade – A.

6:40 – Second costume sighting. This time a girl in a brown Jedi cloak, with a red lightsaber, and jeans. Costume grade – C+.

7:18 – Other costume sightings – an Asian girl with a UCLA ID on a neck strap, carrying an extended lightsaber and using what looks like a store-bought Kimono type thing as a Jedi outfit. Grade – D+.

Another, this time a full-on Jedi outfit, although pretty hard to see the details from about 30 yards away. Assumed costume grade – A.

7:23 – SW theme blaring from somewhere up the block.

A black Lincoln Navigator pull up, two under-10 kids climb out. One, no more than 9, is carrying a lightsaber, Darth Vader helmet, a black cloak, and Darth Vader’s chest utility thing. He says, “Bye, dad.” So. Fucking. Cute. There is love in this world, somewhere……

0 Comments:

Add a comment